So, I am totally geeking out over Sleep No More. Last time I went was my fourth–I got kisses from both the Boy Witch and Bald Witch, and the Boy Witch gave me a locket. :) I am eagerly attending the $250 New Years Eve show and afterparty (anyone want to go with? I feel really awkward going to the party part alone, though their Halloween party was the best party I’ve ever been to, so I’m going on New Years anyway).
I can’t find the fandom, though. :( I know its out there because I keep hearing about obsessive people going over and over (*ahem*), but the closest thing I’ve found is this thread at broadwayworld.com, which has a lot of good info but doesn’t get updated that often. Surely there must be a site out there pointing fans to all the trivia and interesting stories and whatnot?
So, I can’t find it, but here are the nifty things that my Google-fu has turned up:
* A BBC piece with footage from the show and interviews with directors and actors.
* Best photos of the set that I’ve seen, along with a great (fictional) story of the building’s past as a hotel.
* From the NY Times, the show’s co-directors narrate details about six (of the hundred) rooms.
* Great interview with the theater company’s artistic director, plus details about why it’s a must-see experience.
* Neil Patrick Harris had a cameo in the show around Thanksgiving–watch him raving about the show and his experience in it.
* Audio interview with the directors in which the interviewer seems peculiarly, politely passive-aggressive.
(One of the interesting things I heard a few times in the interviews is that, even though the show is largely wordless, the dance is very specifically inspired by the dialogue in “Macbeth.” I was so discombobulated the first time I went that I didn’t really pick this up–I was too busy trying to figure out what was going on and who the characters were. But last time, I knew what characters I was seeing and how the scene corresponded to “Macbeth,” so I definitely did pick up a lot more nuances of the dance scenes and was far more riveted by them. I was thinking that the details of what’s being expressed in the dance often correspond directly to “Macbeth” dialogue, and am not at all surprised to hear it confirmed.)
* The amazing prophecy/orgy/rave scene that everyone freaks out about is set to a mix of the following songs:
(This seems to be a fan-made attempt to emulate the way the two are mashed up in the show, though it doesn’t really sound right to me.)
* There’s also a YouTube playlist of music from the show (put together by a fan).
* Here’s a discussion where people are figuring out the music.
* Last but not least, I actually put myself through an entire episode of Gossip Girl called “The Big Sleep No More” that took place largely on the set of Sleep No More. Though Gossip Girl is… not to my tastes, it does give some nifty glimpses of the actors and sets, though it doesn’t capture anything of how intense and dark the show actually is.
* Some kind of game (?) on their official website. I can’t figure out how this is supposed to work. I think it’s related to something outdated?
* I’ve also heard interesting things about what this show is “like”; it’s the closest thing you’ll ever come in real life to:
* time travel
* being in a video game
* being in a choose-your-own-adventure story
* being in a movie
* being in a dream